- Edutrek: Research and connect with practically every university, community college, career school, online school or local education opportunity in the U.S. with this free college matchmaker service.
- Lendedu:Offers many tools, calculators, and other resources that can help you learn about financial aid, including scholarships.
- Mometrix: test prep. Ask for login info. We have 50 titles! Call us if you don’t see one that you need, and we may be able to get it for you- quickly.
- The Simple Dollar: (Please read their disclosure at the very bottom of the web page first.) This began as a site for people who are fighting debt and bad spending habits, while trying to build a financially secure future and still afford a few luxuries in life.
- Smart About Money: Government sponsored National Endowment for Financial Education says, “Whether you want to build your knowledge of personal finance, or you just need a refresher, SAM’s free online courses can help. Each course takes approximately 45 minutes and includes tools, worksheets and calculators.
- Weiss Financial Rating Series: Stock information- updated daily, mutual fund info-updated monthly, lots of other things as well. Ask us for the login information. Create your own account and get updates on your chosen stocks or mutual funds. Consumer guides: Easy and accurate financial planning tools. Guides on Medicare Supplement Insurance, Medicare Prescription Drug coverage, Health Savings Accounts, Long-Term Care Insurance, Elder Care Choices, Term Life Insurance, Variable Annuities, Automobile Insurance, and Homeowner’s Insurance.
- Grantham, NH Historical society and Archives: Your site for local genealogical info. A quick e-mail for the archivist is: email@example.com.
- Heritage Quest Online:Discover your family history today! (Ask us for the login and password). Also, in the library, you can access Ancestry Library.
- NH Public Records: births, marriages, and deaths.
- NH State Library: researching your NH family history from home.
- Digital Magazines: You must sign in first with the library prefix and your library card number (no spaces). There are various digital magazines in the collection that can be checked out without impacting how many eBooks or audiobooks you can borrow at once. They can be read on a computer browser or within the Libby app on a mobile device.
- Cerebral Palsy: Information from the CDC, and a Cerebral Palsy Guide.
- Medline Plus: Information from the National Library of Medicine (NLM), the National Institutes of Health (NIH), other government agencies, and health-related organizations. Also contains extensive information about drugs and supplements, an illustrated medical encyclopedia, interactive tutorials, the latest health news, and surgery videos.
- Mesothelioma: Symptoms and causes, and more from the Mayo Clinic.
- NH Tourism Bureau: All things New Hampshire – what to do, where to stay, where to eat. You also can order a free visitor’s guide from this site.
Reference Book Resources
- Current Topics, Selected Essays from Salem Press to Help Explore Current Events: Information pertaining to civil disobedience,social justice, nationalism and populism,violent demonstrations,and race relations.
- Defining Documents in American History Dissent & Protest (1635-2017) Original documents and transcripts of speeches with analyses from Colonial times through modern times dealing with religious freedom, abolition, civil rights for African Americans,women’s rights, anti-war activism, and other social protests. “Letter from a Birmingham jail” is available from many sources online, but this entry includes summary information, biographical information on Martin Luther King, glossary of possibly unfamiliar terms, analysis, and a list of other vetted sources to consult.
- Encyclopedia of Historical Warrior Peoples & Modern Fighting Groups From the Maccabees, Samurai and Huns through the US Marines and Al Queda, (in alphabetical order). This encyclopedia studies organized military forces who excelled (“good” or “bad”).
- Nations of the World : Doing a project on a country or planning to travel? Nations of the World has currency information, government, entry requirements and lots of other information for all the nations of the world, although the information is from 2018.
Research and Learning
- Magazine and other databases: “The Granite State’s Information Connection”: but don’t be misled, it’s not JUST New Hampshire information. Look for Magazine, Newspaper, Journal articles, get book advice, look into health information etc. You will need to ask us for the username and password.
- Brainfuse HelpNow tutoring service. Offers live tutor access for homework help, skills building and test preparation where after taking a quiz the user can connect directly to a live tutor from the test center without having to return to the main page.
- Mango Languages: 25 different languages. You will need the 4 digit library prefix, and if your library card isn’t 5 digits long, put enough zeros in the middle so the whole number you’re typing is 9 digits.
- New Hampshire Interlibrary Loan System: Provides access to the holdings of libraries throughout the Granite State and supports resource sharing among them.
- New Hampshire Red Book: NH Governor and Executive Council meeting dates, agendas, and minutes with link to the NH Red Book (on left) that includes appointments made to NH boards and commissions by the Governor and Executive Council.
- New York Times Online: Unlimited access for 24 hours. You will have to login or register. Once you’ve hit the redeem button, you can use the same login to NYTimes.com for the rest of the day on any device you like.
- Peoplesmart: Directory service of public information.
- The Valley News: Offering free temporary Covid-19 coverage.
- AARP www.aarp.org
- Benefits Check Up www.benefitscheckup.org
- Eldercare Locator www.eldercare.gov
- Family Caregiver Alliance www.caregiver.org
- Meals on Wheels www.mowaa.org
- Medicare www.medicare.gov
- National Council on the Aging www.ncoa.org
- Senior Living Map www.seniorlivingmap.org
- SeniorNet www.seniornet.org
- Computers for Seniors http://www.pc-wholesale.com/articles-a-guide-to-computers-for-seniors.html
- Kanopy: Streaming videos such as movies and documentaries. Similar to Netflix. Choose Dunbar Free Library from the side menu, enter the library prefix code and your library card number (no spaces), and finish the account setup by entering your email and a password. You may also sign in through Google or Facebook.