1,000 BOOKS BEFORE KINDERGARTEN
An Early Literacy Program for Children 0-5 Years of Age
Did you know that reading to your child is one of the most powerful ways to boost his or her brain power? The simple and enjoyable act of sharing books helps your child learn pre-reading skills such as understanding the sounds letters make, developing a bigger vocabulary, and building background knowledge—all important skills that help prepare your child for learning to read and entering kindergarten.
The Dunbar Free Library’s 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten program is a fun, exciting, and free way to start your child on the path to success! Any child ages birth to five years can participate. Just follow these steps:
1. Register: Sign up at Dunbar Free Library’s or online at Dunbar Free Library’s. Pick up program materials at the library or print them from our website.
2. Track Your Reading: Fill in a circle each time you read with your child on your reading record.
3. Every Book Counts: Even if your child wants to hear the same book again and again, you can count it each time. You can also count the books your child hears in storytime, in daycare or preschool, or with a friend or family member, as long as your child listens to the entire book.
4. 100-Book Milestones: Each time you read 100 books, bring your reading record to the library to receive a special sticker. We will also move your child’s clip up on our special chart, and we’ll give you a new reading record for your next 100 books.
5. 1,000 Books: You did it! Come celebrate at the library, see your child’s clip placed at the top of our 1,000 Book Wall of Fame, and receive a certificate and a special invitation to our graduation party.
6. Keep on Reading: Don’t stop at 1,000! Keep on reading together; there’s more learning ahead! Singing songs, saying rhymes, telling stories, and playing with your child are all great ways to build their literacy skills. Visit the Dunbar Free Library’s often for free programs that are fun and educational for your little one and to find great books to share with your child.
Click the image below to download a tracking sheet and parent registration to get started now, or stop by the library to sign up.